This Chicory Apple Salad is one of my favourite salads. It’s great on its own or as a side salad. The sweet and bitter balance in this recipe makes it a winner at our dinner table, especially if you serve it as a side salad with some schnitzel.
But a grilled chicken breast, a beautiful pan seared salmon or a freshly baked baguette will also work really well with it.
But with the chicken schnitzel, a slice of lemon, that is a match made in heaven.
But do you actually know Chicory?
Chicory is actually grown in complete darkness, hence the blanched white, yellow-tipped leaves. You can find it in the supermarket in a wooden basket in the fridge, but covered as it does not like the sun. Therefore, you should store Chicory in a kitchen towel in the fridge. The taste is a mild, bitter flavour, and you should cut off the stem when preparing it.
The secret to my Chicory Apple Salad?
Quite simple- it is the cream cheese in combination with the fresh orange juice. Simply delicious and refreshing!
And of course the segments of the orange. But do you know how to segment an orange?
How to segment an orange:
Cut off the top and the bottom of the orange. Cut away the outer skin, from top to bottom. Once the outside skin (including white membrane) is removed, insert the knife between the side membrane and the meat of the orange. When the knife is between them, carefully pull the meat away from the membrane on both sides. Repeat until you have all the segments. That’s it.
But for this delicious salad, you will also need the juice of the remaining orange, so simply squeeze the orange to extract the juice. Best directly over your bowl. 😉
However, I am sure after you tried this salad you know why that whenever I see it in the supermarket, I have to buy it and make this delicious Chicory Apple Salad. It always brings back happy memories and is sooo easy and with my hacks quick to prepare.
Chicory Apple Salad
A beautiul winter saladsimple
- 15 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 25 minutes
|3 Tbsp cream cheese|
|2 Tbsp natural yoghurt|
|3 oranges – you will need the segments and the juice|
|1 apple – cut into slices|
|salt and pepper|
Steps of preparation
- In a big bowl, add the cream cheese and yoghurt and whisk together.
- Segment an orange and squeeze the orange pulp in the cream cheese and yoghurt mixture.
- How to segment an orange:
- Cut off the top and the bottom of the orange. Cut away the outer skin, from top to bottom. Once the outside skin (including white membrane) is removed, insert the knife between the side membrane and the meat of the orange. When the knife is between them, carefully pull the meat away from the membrane on both sides. Repeat until you have all the filets.
- Add the filets of the orange and squeeze the juice of the remaining of the orange to the yoghurt and cream cheese mixture.
- Wash the apple thoroughly and remove the stem from the fruit, cut in half from stem top to bottom. Then, cut the apple into slices.
- Add the apple cubes to the mixture and season generously with salt and pepper
- How to prepare the Chicory:
- Cut it in half first
- Remove the inside stem
- Then thinly slice it.
- Add the chicory to the mixture and fold it in.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and enjoy!