I think if someone had offered me a kale salad or a new German kale salad 10 years ago, I would have just looked a bit puzzled and my answer would be a firm no, thank you!
Kale sounds like everything to me, just not tasty. But this kale salad, is really tasty and healthy!
How healthy is a kale salad?
- Contains an extremely high amount of vitamin C.
- Contains potassium, which means it has a dehydrating effect
- Contains a lot of iron—good for blood formation
- Contains a lot of calcium—good for bones and teeth
Wow, it is such a vitamin bomb, a real superfood, so to speak! If you want to make kale in a smoothie, you need a strong mixer, otherwise you won’t get the fibrous leaves mashed into small pieces.
And what makes the kale salad even more practical:
If you have some leftover Kale salad, put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and it will still be crunchy to eat the next day. Not as slack as a normal leaf salad. It is therefore perfect to take with you the next day to the office, or simply as a light lunch in the home office.
However, I have to admit that this is not my recipe—it is from my friend Margaret, who brought the salad along for a BBQ. Thank you! Especially a great combination with pistachios, peaches and avocados.
How do I prepare kale salad?
She also gave me the tip to simply pluck the leaves off the kale from the coarse stalks. Then soak in cold water for about 2 minutes and then dry in the salad spinner. If the leaves are still too coarse for you, you can quickly cut them into small pieces with a sharp knife.
I like to serve a sea bream with it and I can imagine a glass of Pinot Gris along with it
Crunchy Kale Salad
A super nutritious every day saladsimple
- 15 minutes
- 15 minutes
|250 g||fresh Kale|
|1 red pepper|
|1||Tbsp Dijon mustard|
|8||Tbsp olive oil|
|4||Tbsp apple cider vinegar|
|salt & pepper to taste|
Steps of preparation
- Take the kale leaves off the kale stem and soak them in cold water for 2 minutes.
- Take the kale out of the water and use a salad spinner to dry the kale.
- Place the kale in a big salad bowl
- In a glass jar, add the Dijon mustard, olive oil, vinegar, honey and salt & pepper and close the lid.
- Give the dressing a good hearty shake.
- Cut the peach, red pepper and avocado in small pieces and add to the kale in the bowl.
- Roughly chop the pistachios
- Give the dressing another shake and pour the dressing over the kale and add the pistachios.