Are you in need for an apple cake recipe? Maybe one with vanilla custard? Basically an Apple Custard Cake?
And it should tick all of these boxes:
- Vanilla custard?
- Short crust?
- Whipped cream, topped with cinnamon?
You can check all your boxes right now! Woohoo!
But I seriously have to warn you as there is a high chance that you will get addicted to this beautiful apple cake!
I know someone who once made it at least 5 weekends in a row, as everyone requested this Apple Custard Cake when they visited her. OK, and because she is addicted to this cake. Seriously. 😉
What makes this Apple Custard Cake so special?
It’s the cinnamon. Cinnamon and apples and whipped cream in combination is just too good to be true. 😉 Ok and the custard as well. Vanilla Custard to be precise.
The Apple custard cream topped with cinnamon makes it so delicious, and it actually is fairly simple to make. You only need to ensure to let it cool down properly for maximum flavour. So best is to prepare it in the morning and to enjoy in the afternoon. Or even the next day when there is something left, which I highly doubt.
How to make this cool apple cake?
It’s actually fairly simple, but is for sure a showstopper on every coffee table. You simply first make the shortcrust base, and I mean, who doesn’t love a shortcrust base?
And to prevent the base from getting soggy from the apples and custard, you simply add some bread crumbs.
You then need to slice the apples, make the custard, mix it and bake it. After a cooling down period, you add the whipped cream, sprinkle with cinnamon and you are good to go! So there you have it, it really is that simple.
Enjoy baking the apple custard cake!
If you are looking for another apple recipe-why don’t you try out my homemade apple sauce? It’s sooo tasty!
Apple Custard Cake
a showstopper on every coffee table!moderate
- 30 minutes
- 29 minutes
- 1 hours
- 1 hours 59 minutes
|2||tsp baking soda|
|1 handful bread crumbs|
|1 kg apple if you can, use boskoop apples if you can as they are a bit tangy|
|750 ml apple juice|
|150 g sugar|
|2 packets of Vanilla custard powder|
|250 ml whipping cream|
|1 packed of vanilla sugar|
|1||generous pinch of cinnamon powder|
Steps of preparation
- Preheat oven to 175 °C and grease baking form
- Add the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and add to the flour.
- Add sugar and the egg and knead to get a smooth ball.
- Cover the dough and transfer to the fridge to let it rest for 30 min.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly dusted workplace and roll out the dough using a rolling pin. Ensure to cover the base and the sides with the dough.
- Place the bread crumbs on top of the dough to prevent the cake from being soggy
- Peel and quarter the apples. Cut off small slices of it.
- In the meantime, bring the apple juice to boil. Stir in the sugar and the vanilla custard powder.
- Fold the apples carefully to the custard.
- Pour the apple custard carefully on top of the dough in the baking form and bake for 1 hour at 175 °C.
- Let the cake cool down.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla sugar and cover the top of the cake with it and dust it with cinnamon.
- Let the cake cool down for 2- 3hrs and enjoy!