I love Pasta! And nothing beats Spaghetti with a homemade Tomato Sauce! That’s it. I could eat it all day and every day. Like my kids.
However, they only wanted it plain with Parmesan. Well, my daughter at least. Two years ago she started to eat pasta with tomato sauce! Woo-hoo! WIN WIN!
But as she is not so keen on her veggies, I had to be smart about it. Thats why I created my tomato sauce, where I smuggle all kind of veggies in it as well.
When you make the sauce, make sure you use a blender, so you can purée the sauce. All traces of vegetables will be hidden. If I have at home, I make it with extra zucchinis, aubergines, carrots, and extra celery- and so far these were the winners.
However, as I like the little bits of veggies in my sauce, I just take a ladder (or two) of sauce away before I purée it.
It’s sooo easy to make and versatile, so it’s a perfect item for my food for days category!
Use the tomato sauce as a base for:
- any tomato based Pasta sauce really
- Piccata Milanese-such a simple but delicious dinner
- if it has to be quick, even for a cheats Bolognese sauce-you brown the minced meat, season it and just add the tomato sauce. Done.
I always make a huge batch and I freeze the leftovers in small containers. If I make the recipe as written below, it is enough for us four, and I am able to freeze 2 kids portions as well. Which is great, as I have something in the freezer readily available when I want to eat something the kids do not like without fuss. And I think that’s awesome!
Some variations of the Tomato sauce:
- add a splash of cream for a pink sauce
- add a can of tuna to your sauce
- some ham and mushrooms
Any variety of the tomato sauce is an absolute winner for us and will upgrade your favourite dinner! Try it- I am sure you will like it as well 🙂
I hope you will love it as much as we do!
An Italian classic for the whole family!simple
- 20 minutes
- 1 hours
- 1 hours 20 minutes
|2||cans of crushed tomatoes|
|200 g||root celeriac if you cannot find the root, you can also use celery stick|
|1||medium sized carrot|
|1||Pinch of sugar|
|1||Tbsp tomato purée|
|freshly ground pepper|
|2 Tbsp olive oil|
|500 ml||homemade broth/ bouillion/ vegetable stock /|
|If you have leftover vegetables like zucchini or aubergines, don’t be shy to use them|
|600 g||Spaghetti ( for 6 people)|
- hand blender
Steps of preparation
- Peel carrots, onion, garlic, and celeriac and cut them thumb size (that’s called brunoise)
- Bring a big pot to high heat and add olive oil
- Roast the vegetables until they gained some colour for flavour.
- Add the tomato purée.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the veggies – pour water in one of the cans and swirl it to get all the tomatoes out of the can
- Swirl it around to get all tomatoes out and add in the pot.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar.
- Add the broth and let it cook for 1 hour until everything is cooked softly.
- If you like to purée your sauce, take a hand blender, purée the sauce and add some water until you reach your desired consistency
- Cook your pasta as per the instructions on your packet
Looking for some more vegetarian dishes?
- Lentil salad with Avocado
- Red cabbage salad with oranges and dates-ready in 15 Minutes
- Bulgarian Banitza