Boy, what an explosion of flavour and texture is the salmon with horseradish cabbage!
You have the crunchiness of the savoy cabbage, the heat from the horseradish and a beautiful pan seared salmon which really works well together. The key here is the horseradish, it gives the cabbage the extra kick it needs and definitely deserves.
It for sure is one of my favorite easy weeknight meals as its done in less than 30 minutes without any fuss.
Certainly, you can use any cabbage which you can get from your trusted fruit and vegetable dealer, if there is no savoy cabbage around. That’s the case here in Sofia, at least. So when I found a savoy cabbage by accident, I straight away made the Salmon with horseradish Cabbage! YAY!
It’s fast, it’s healthy and it’s delicious-what more could you want? Add some roast potatoes if you like, and everyone is happy.
If you are looking for some more salmon recipes, have a look at my fish page here
My wine recommendation for salmon with horseradish cabbage:
Definitely a nice glass of an oaky Chardonnay would go really well with it
Salmon with horseradish cabbage
The horseradish will give it the kick it needs!simple
- 15 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 35 minutes
|1||small savoy cabbage|
|4 Tbsb creamy horseradish|
|150 ml||vegetable broth|
|salt and pepper|
Steps of preparation
- Prepare the cabbage for frying:
- Cut it in half and remove the stem.
- Place the cut side down on your cutting board, slice it as thinly as possible around the core so that you have fine stripes
- Discard the core.
- Add the Ghee to a fairly large, deep sauté pan. As soon as the Ghee melts, add the cabbage.
- The cabbage will take up a lot of room and barely fit at first, but it will cook down fairly quickly.
- To sauté, stir the cabbage only occasionally. You want the cabbage to turn golden brown and get a little caramelized.
- Add the vegetable broth and let it simmer
- Prepare the Salmon:
- In the meantime, heat up another pan to high heat.
- Debone the salmon with some tweezers
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and add to the pan, skin down.
- Cook until golden brown on the bottom, roughly about 4 minutes.
- Turn the salmon-here comes the trick-lower the heat to moderate and sear until cooked or to your liking.
- It will be around 3-4 minutes.
- Add 4 tsp of creamy horseradish to the savoy cabbage, season to taste and enjoy!