Have you ever made homemade fries from the oven? No? Then it’s about time!
Because they are actually not that difficult to make, and the result is really better than the store bought ones.
Before I list my personal tips for crispy, homemade fries, I have written down the easiest way to get the fries shape right here. That is also quite fixed. For real.
How do I get the shape?
- Peel the potato
- then cut into slices
- and then cut them lengthways into the classic pencil shape.
That’s it – if you prefer them thinner, simply halve the pins again lengthways.
My tips for homemade fries:
- Use waxy potatoes
- place the potatoes in cold water for at least 2 hours to remove the starch
- dry the potatoes completely
- Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet
Waxy potatoes are particularly suitable for homemade fries, as they do not disintegrate as quickly due to their low starch content.
Nevertheless, you should put the potatoes in cold water and change the water at least once.
And if you then dry the potatoes well (take a kitchentowel for this) before you turn them in the oil and the spices, there is not much in the way of getting crispy fries.
But one more thing – it really makes the difference: don’t overload the baking tray! The potatoes really need room to crisp up properly.
There is also a trick with the cornstarch. If you add cornstarch to the oil, they should come out crispier. I tried it, of course, but I couldn’t really tell the difference. The most important thing was really the space on the baking sheet.
As you can see, there are a few tips that you should consider so that they really succeed. But if you follow the tips, you will be rewarded with crispy and, above all, delicious fries from the oven!
But one more thing: what do fries go best with?
Of course a homemade Schnitzel! French fries and Schnitzel are simply the ideal comfort food if you ask me. But of course they also taste good on their own, with a little mayo and ketchup to dip them in.
love, sabrina x
They taste so good!simple
Prep time:20 minutes
Rest time:2 hours
Baking time:40 minutes
Total time:3 hours
|800 g||waxy potatoes|
|1||Tbsp salt- and some extra to season them|
|1||tsp paprika powder|
|3||Tbsp neutral oil|
- 2 baking trays
Steps of preparation
- Peel the potatoes and cut into sticks
- Put cold water in a large bowl and let the potato sticks soak in the water
- Change the water completely at least once after around 60 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 220°C top and bottom heat
- Prepare 2 baking trays with baking paper
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel
- In a bowl, mix the oil with the salt and paprika powder
- Toss the potatoes in the oil mixture and divide onto the 2 baking sheets
- The potatoes should have space on the baking sheet
- Put the baking sheets in the oven and after 20 minutes swap the sheets with each other
- Shortly before the end, switch the oven to 250 °C again and let the fries get crispy
- Remove fries from oven and season with salt to taste
Serve with some Schnitzel
You tried this recipe?
Then link @sabrinastable on Instagram or use the hashtag #sabrinastable.