This is one of the surprising dishes which cooks in just 45 minutes and is sooo delicious! The added vinegar just gives the lentils the most amazing texture and flavour. The pan fried Halibut with creamy Lentils will be on rotation at your family table as well in no time!
My husband made the Halibut with creamy lentils years ago in Bonn for the first time. So it definitely is a while ago! It still is one of our favourite weeknight dinners and we both love that it is easy to prepare, healthy and full of flavour.
But, what kind of fish is Halibut?
Halibut is a Salt water fish and is a firm, white fish with a mild flavour. Another attribute is that it’s low in fat. So if you are not so keen of fish, this might be an idea to try out!
Can you prepare this with another fish?
If you can not get Halibut at your favourite fish shop, you can also make this with any other fish filet like Cod or Sea bass. And of course, if you do not like fish at all you can substitute it with chicken.
And if you happen to have some leftovers of the lentils, they taste wonderful the next day with some pasta and fresh Parmesan.
My wine recommendation for the Halibut with creamy lentils:
Definitely a nice glass of Chardonnay. It goes so well with creamy dishes and with firm fish like a Halibut.
Are you looking for something sweet afterwards? Why not try a Mascarpone cheesecake?
Halibut with creamy lentils
a great low carb weeknight dinnermoderate
- 10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 50 minutes
|500 g||Halibut filets|
|1||tsp tomato paste|
|salt and pepper|
|500 ml||vegetable stock|
|2||Tbsp white balsamic vinegar|
Steps of preparation
- Cut the vegetables in bit sized pieces
- Place a medium-sized pot on the stove and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, celery, and carrot and stir occasionally.
- Add the lentils, thyme, and tomato paste and stir.
- Add the vinegar and the vegetable stock.
- Let it simmer on low heat for around 40 minutes.
- Do not add the salt until the lentils are nearly cooked.
- Add the cream and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Just before the cooking time is over, let’s prepare the Halibut
- Season with salt and pepper and gently stroke with your finger over the fish filet to ensure there are no bones left.
- If there are, remove them with tweezers.
- Heat a pan to medium heat with some oil.
- Place the halibut skin down in the pan and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn around and let it cook for 2 more minutes/ until it is cooked to your liking.
- Place the lentils on the plate and add the Halibut-Enjoy!