It still is Asparagus season, and we Germans go absolutely crazy for white Asparagus. During my travels I also got introduced to the green Asparagus and I absolutely fell in love with it! Last week I got inspired for some grilled Asparagus with poached egg and I wanted to share my recipe with you right away!
How to poach an egg the easy way!
And if you are intimidated by poaching an egg, don’t worry I have a kitchen hack for you! I cannot take the full credit as I have seen Jamie Oliver in some video doing this trick. So thank you, Jamie Oliver- you changed my life! And finally, we are having poached eggs for breakfast at home as well!
All you need to do is to line a small dish with food-safe plastic wrap. Sprinkle a few drops of oil around the plastic to coat the sides before cracking an egg directly into the dish. Close the ends of the plastic wrap and place the egg in a pot with simmering water. After 3-4 minutes, depending on how you soft you like them cooked, take them out of the water. Remove the foil and you are ready!
As you now have a kitchen hack for poaching an egg, you can also simply poach 4 eggs and make the grilled asparagus with poached egg as a starter for a dinner party!
I hope you will enjoy my take on the Asparagus with poached egg as well maybe serve it with some homemade sandwich bread?
Asparagus with poached Egg
Easy weeknight dinner recipesimple
- 10 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
|500 g green Asparagus|
|Salt and Pepper|
|1 garlic clove|
|dash lemon juice|
|1 tbsp Olive oil and a bit extra|
|2 Eggs 1 per Person|
|2 tbsp Vinegar only if you poach the classical way|
Steps of preparation
- Bring a small pot with water to boil
- In the meantime, wash your asparagus and cut off roughly 3-5 cm of the asparagus and peel the garlic and cut in slices
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the garlic and asparagus.
- Season with some salt and pepper.
- Let it get some colour and remove the heat.
- Add the dash of lemon and let it rest in the hot pan until the eggs are poached.
- Poaching the egg:
- You can either poach the egg the classical way with adding vinegar to the water, letting it simmer, crack the egg on a ladder, swirl the water and transfer the egg to the water. Let it simmer for 3 minutes if you like the eggs softly poached
- remove the eggs with a slotted spoon
- Divide the Asparagus on 2 plates and place the poached eggs on top and enjoy
Poaching the egg with the kitchen hack from Jamie Oliver:
- Start by lining a small dish with food-safe plastic wrap. Add a few drops of olive oil around the plastic to coat the sides before cracking an egg directly into the dish- I always use a coffee cup
- Tie the edges of the plastic wrap and repeat with the second egg.
- You can place both eggs into the simmering water together and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the water and cut open the plastic wrap and remove it gently from the egg- careful, there might be some hot water!
- Divide the asparagus on 2 plates and place the poached egg on top.