There is a side dish that actually always works in classic German cuisine—red cabbage!
We always like to serve this classic side dish over the holidays and after and we like it best with beef roulades or with Christmas goose.
It is really important that you start to prepare the red cabbage the day before. Which is actually the main work, since you just have to cook it the next day. So a time saver as well 😉
For the spices in a dish like this I love to use a spice sachet as I can easily remove it when the cabbage is cooked. I use an empty tea sachet or filter for it, which you can get in a well sorted tea section.
In Germany, we use Preiselbeeren Jam (lingonberry Jam) for it, but you can certainly substitute it with Cranberry Jam. I already altered it in the recipe to make it easier.
Another few tips for the preparation of red cabbage:
- Be sure to wear gloves when kneading your cabbage, otherwise your hands will be red!
- According to the German chef Tim Mälzer, lemon juice helps to get your hands shiny again!
- If you have a sheltered balcony, you can put it there overnight to marinate if your fridge is already full. But please make sure it is properly covered as you do not want bugs in it.
- If you don’t need that much, red cabbage can be frozen in portions and easily defrosted when needed.
Have fun cooking and don’t forget your gloves 😉
German braised red cabbage
Perfect side dishsimple
Prep time:30 minutes
Rest time:10 hours
Cook time:40 minutes
Total time:11 hours 10 minutes
|red cabbage and marinade|
|1||small red cabbage|
|300 ml||red wine|
|3||Tbsp clarified butter/ Ghee|
|3||Tbsp red wine vinegar|
|3||Tbsp cranberry jam|
|Salt & pepper|
|5||juniper berries, pressed|
- an empty tea filter for the spices
Steps of preparation
Marinate the red cabbage
- Quarter the red cabbage and remove the stalk.
- Either cut diagonally into fine strips or chop up small with the food processor
- Put the red cabbage strips in a large bowl, season with the sugar and salt and knead vigorously with your hands
- Add the red wine and mix again
- Cover the red cabbage and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight
Prepare red cabbage
- Take the marinated red cabbage out of the refrigerator
- Quarter the apple, remove the core and cut into thin slices
- Peel the onions and cut into fine strips
- Heat the clarified butter in a large pot and fry the onions in it
- Add the marinated red cabbage, apple slices and red wine.
- Add the spice sachet and cook covered for approx. 40 minutes over low heat
- Stir occasionally
- Add red wine vinegar and cranberry jam
- Season with salt & pepper and enjoy!
You tried this recipe?
Then link @sabrinastable on Instagram or use the hashtag #sabrinastable.