Now I’m a big fan of Indian cuisine. And a red lentil dhal with chicken? Oh, yes please! Comfort food, just the way I like it!
It is done very quickly and everything in one pan, so it’s a perfect and quickly prepared weeknight dinner for me.
For me, the dhal is simply the perfect after-work kitchen, as the dhal is really ready on the table in no time at all. Since I usually don’t cook rice with it, it’s also low-carb, which I have absolutely nothing to object to.
And I like to vary with the vegetables and use what is still in my fridge and should be gone by like yesterday. But my favourite version is still with carrots, red peppers and fresh spinach. It can also happen that I leave the chicken entirely out and cook a vegan version of it.
There are really no limits to your imagination!
Enjoy the meal,
Lots of love, sabrina
If you’d like a glass of wine with it, I highly recommend a Gewürztraminer. Or just a cold beer.
Indian comfort foodsimple
Prep time:15 minutes
Cook time:20 minutes
Total time:35 minutes
|500 g||chicken breast|
|10 g||ginger- a nice big pice|
|2||Tbsp sunflower oil|
|400 ml||coconut milk|
|150 g||red lentils|
|100 g||baby spinach|
|1||lime, juice and a little zest of the peel|
|some freshly ground pepper|
|1/2||tsp coriander, ground|
|OPTIONAL some Chili flakes|
Steps of preparation
- Cut the chicken into strips and season it well with salt and pepper.
- Put some lime juice on the chicken.
- In the meantime, peel and cut the onion, garlic, and ginger into small cubes.
- Cut the peppers and carrots into pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sear the chicken.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger
- Add paprika, carrot, turmeric, cumin, and coriander and roast briefly.
- Add the lentils and coconut milk
- Add salt and turn the stove back to low heat and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Stir it again and again.
- In the meantime, wash and dry the spinach.
- Cut the spring onion into fine rings
- Add the remaining lime juice and about 1 Tbsp of the lime zest.
- Add the spinach, stir, and season with salt and pepper and serve with the spring onion
If you like it a bit spicy, just add some Chili flakes with the other spices to the dhal.
You tried this recipe?
Then link @sabrinastable on Instagram or use the hashtag #sabrinastable.