Sometimes a salad can be something different from just leaves and a dressing. More for the winter months as well-especially when cauliflower is in season. So how about a roasted cauliflower salad with Tahini Dressing?
Due to the different spices, like Sumac, ground coriander and cumin, this cauliflower salad is definitely inspired by the Levant cuisine. The Levant cuisine consists of lots of vegetables, little meat and a variety of spices. The cuisine of the Middle East consists of the eastern Mediterranean region, i.e., Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, and Palestine.
What’s in the cauliflower salad with Tahini Dressing
This salad is packed with superfoods and super tasty too! In addition to cauliflower, kale, and lentils, the salad also contains crunchy pistachios and sweet raisins.
And the avocado, cooked lentils and tahini give it a really lovely creamy texture.
Is the salad vegan?
Did I mention that it’s also vegan and low-carb? So it’s also a salad recipe for losing weight. But one of those recipes where you feel you are not on missing out on something.
If you don’t like raisins, you can always substitute them with some cut dates or even pomegranate seeds.
Why is the cauliflower boiled and then fried?
I first boil the cauliflower in salted water with a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to make it a little more digestible. And if you briefly blanch the kale as well, the bicarbonate of soda will keep it green. And if you fry both with chili oil, the roasted cauliflower salad with Tahini Dressing just tastes better. 🙂
And be sure to save some cauliflower water and add it to the dressing, so that the dressing becomes a little more liquidish and the taste more intense.
All the best, sabrina x
Roasted cauliflower salad with Tahini Dressing
A salad packed with superfoods!moderate
- 15 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 35 minutes
|cooked lentils (one can)
|Tbsp Olive oil – if you like it spicy, use chilli oil
|pinch of bicarbonate of soda
|Tbsp sesame oil
|Tbsp Maple Syrup
|lime – juice and some zest
|tsp ground cumin
|tsp ras el hanout
|pinch of chili flakes
|Salt & pepper
- salad bowl
Steps of preparation
- Either cook lentils according to package directions or strain a can of cooked lentils
- Divide cauliflower into florets
- Remove the kale from the stalk and cut into small pieces
- Heat a pot of salted water and add bicarbonate of soda
- Boil the cauliflower for about 5 minutes
- Add kale and cook for another 2 minutes
- Strain the cauliflower and kale, reserving some of the water from the cauliflower.
- Peel the avocado and cut into small pieces
- Wash radishes and cut into small pieces
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the dressing using a whisk. If the dressing is too thick, simply add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cauliflower water.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the flowers and kale
- Add the radishes, cauliflower, kale, raisins, Avocado, radishes, and lentils to the dressing
- Mix everything together well
- Leave for 5 minutes
- Finely chop the spring onions and add them along with the pistachios
- Divide among 4 plates and enjoy