Who doesn’t love a delicious cheesecake? Without wanting to exaggerate, the American cheesecake is simply delicious.
It’s just super creamy, not too sweet, but sweet enough and oh, did I say creamy? I am tempted to say McCreamy 😉
Another great thing about this cake is that you can prepare it in advance as it needs to cool down overnight.
And it is really not that hard to make! Try it, with my tips below I am sure it will be a success!
What are the differences in cheesecakes?
But what is the difference between an American cheesecake, a New York cheesecake and a German Käsekuchen?
Quark does not get into any of the American cheesecakes, but it does into a German one. Then there is also a distinction between the American and the New York Cheesecake. I asked my American friends what the other differences are.
- NY: whipped cream is added to the cream cheese
- American: made with cream cheese and sour cream
- German: is prepared with quark
Another difference is of course the base of the cake. The German Käsekuchen is made with a shortcrust pastry, the American one is made with a cookie base. If you can, use graham crackers, the classic American biscuits. Since I can’t get them here, I use *whole grain biscuits* and add a pinch of cinnamon for flavor.
How to make the cheesecake:
First, you got to start with the base:
If you don’t have a food processor, you can simply put the biscuits in a freezer bag, seal it and crush the biscuits with a rolling pin.
Crush the cookies in the food processor and place in a bowl- you can also use a zip log bag and a rolling pin. You just need to make sure that you close the bag 😉
Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat, meanwhile add salt, sugar, and cinnamon to the biscuits. Pour the melted butter on top and mix everything together quickly and pour into the prepared spring form pan.
Distribute evenly and press firmly with the bottom of a measuring cup (or spoon) and bake for 10 minutes.
THE tin foil trick:
After you baked your base for 10 minutes, and please do let it cool down, you need to wrap at least 4 layers of tinfoil around the springform pan. Especially the bottom edges.
Your goal is that no water can come through the pan while baking. So rather take one more layer than skip one. And then prepare the cheesecake filling as per the recipe and pour on the base.
I also tried to make this amazing American cheesecake without the water base and added some ramekins full of water in the oven. It worked but not as good as the hot water bath.
When you done this, all you need to do is place the spring form pan in the water bath/ water basin.
Add water in the basin (not on top of the cake 😉 ) and CAREFULLY place in hot oven.
Finally: You really need to let the cake cool in the oven with the door closed for at least 2 hours to avoid cracking. You can place a wooden spoon after 1 hour in the oven door for the American cheesecake to adjust to the cold air.
And then place the American cheesecake in the fridge overnight for the perfect result. And if it happens to crack, simply place some berries on top of the cake to hide the cracks :-)- believe me, no one will notice.
A few more tips for the perfect American cheesecake
The water bath is there so that the cake gets a soft heat from the steam. This is how he gets his even pallor and no cracks.
Aluminum foil: Please wrap the bottom at least 4 times, if not 5 times, so that
no water really gets in.
All ingredients should be at room temperature for best baking results
Base: it is best to use wholemeal biscuits or Graham Crackers, if you like a higher base (or want to cover the edges as well), then simply take double the cookie and butter amount for the base.
Just to repeat myself: Allow the cheesecake to cool: Please let the cake cool in the oven with the door closed for at least 2 hours. And then place in the fridge overnight for the perfect result.
Decoration: There are no limits to your imagination. Whether it’s just fresh berries or fresh mangoes, a caramel sauce… Everything tastes good!
As you can see, there is a lot to consider. But it really is easy peasy and you will be rewarded with a sensational cheesecake!!
Oh, and my husband always wants to have the American cheesecake as his birthday cake!
And if you are looking for some different baking recipes, have a look here
Step by step recipe for an amazing cake!moderate
- 30 minutes
- 2 hours
- 1 hours 5 minutes
- 3 hours 35 minutes
|180 g||Graham Crackers or biscuits|
|Cream cheese cream|
|900 g||cream cheese|
|250 g||sour cream|
|1||lemon, juice and zest|
- water basin
- tin foil
Steps of preparation
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C for a fan oven
- Line the bottom of the spring form pan with baking paper.
- Crush the cookies in the food processor and place in a bowl
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat
- Add salt, sugar, and cinnamon to the biscuits.
- Put the butter on top and mix everything together quickly and pour into the prepared spring form pan
- distribute and press firmly with the bottom of a measuring cup
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool and meanwhile start making the cream.
Cream cheese cream
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 210 °C
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, salt, and sugar.
- Scrape the vanilla out of the vanilla bean and add it.
- Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and the zest of the lemon.
- Add the cornstarch and stir everything together briefly
- Add one egg at a time, beating until the egg is incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Wrap at least 4 layers of aluminum foil around the bottom of the spring form pan so that no water can flow into the pan.
- Heat water in a kettle
- Put the cream cheese mixture on the pre-baked base and place the spring form pan in the water bath/ water basin
- Careful hot! Add water in the basin (not on top of the cake) and CAREFULLY place in hot oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 210 °C
- After 10 minutes, turn the oven down to 100 °C and let it bake for 55 minutes
- Turn off the oven, but leave the cheesecake in the closed oven to cool for about 2 hours
- Remove after 2 hours and chill in the fridge overnight
- Garnish with fresh berries and enjoy
Super rich and creamy!
When will the American cheesecake taste best?
Well, if it lasts more than a day… Just kidding. If you store the American cheesecake in the fridge, it will taste best on day 1 and 2. Day 3 should also be fine, but anything afterwards to the smell and taste test. If it smells or tastes off, it most likely isn't edible anymore.
Some more recipes:
- Healthy granola bars without sugar- a great source of energy!
- Vanilla crescents, the classic Christmas cookie
- Yogurt bread – super crispy and enjoyed by the whole family
- lavender cookies
- Australian Pavlova – a wonderful summer dessert!
- Homemade Granola- a great crunchy muesli to have in stock
- Cinnamon Apple Sheet Cake
- The best Sunday cakes for a lazy afternoon
- German Spitzbuben, a classic cookie recipe
Disclaimer: links marked with * are Amazon Partner links and I may earn a commission if you decide to purchase the item. However there will be no extra cost for you!