My favourite cousin always raves about a banana cake that we supposedly always ate as children. Unfortunately, I can’t remember it. However, I also know exactly why: As a child, I didn’t like bananas.
But I promised my cousin the exact cake for her birthday, and as the German saying goes: A promise is a promise and will not be broken. It is as binding as a pinky swear! Fortunately, I got the recipe straight away from my aunt and Tada! What can I say except: How stupid of me that I never tried it before! It’s really delicious!
And not that cute either! And just perfect as a 30th birthday cake!
What also speaks in favour of the banana cake is that it is relatively easy to make. The only thing it really needs is time. Time to cool down so that everything is nice and firm.
My tips to make the banana cake a success:
- If you bake the sponge cake yourself, please do not grease the edges of your form. Otherwise, the dough will rise only in the middle and it will look like a volcano.
- It is best to let the sponge cake with the mixture cool overnight.
- You need to adjust the gelatine with the mixture-than there are no lumps.
Adjust gelatine? Huh? How does that work? Pretty easy I would say:
You soak the sheets of gelatine in cold water for about 5 minutes and then squeeze the water out. Put the gelatine in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the mixture and stir it with a whisk. Then add the adjusted gelatine ( which is the gelatine and the 2 Tbsp of mixture) to the remaining mixture and stir with a whisk. Done—you don’t have any lumps and the mass will be nice and firm.
That was the whole trick!
And if you don’t want to bake a sponge cake yourself, ask your favourite baker. Most of the time you can pre-order it there. But it is absolutely worth the extra work though.
Enjoy the banana cake!
love, sabrina x
Oh and if you’re looking for another birthday cake, have a look here
Banana cake with chocolate
A beautiful cake which is not so sweetmoderate
- 30 minutes
- 2 hours
- 2 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 2 hours 52 minutes
|sponge cake base|
|1||packet vanilla sugar ( 8g)|
|1||Tbsp baking soda|
|1||pinch of salt|
|1||packet vanilla pudding( custard)|
|1||packet vanilla sugar|
|500 ml||whipping cream|
|100 g||dark chocolate|
|250 ml||whipping cream|
- cake ring
Steps of preparation
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Beat the eggs with the sugar, salt and vanilla sugar for about 6 minutes until frothy. The egg mass should double in volume over time. The mass is also quite light.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and sift over the egg mixture.
- Carefully fold in the flour
- Line the bottom of a spring form pan with baking paper—please do not grease the edge! Otherwise, the biscuit won’t rise properly
- Put the dough in the spring form pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Make a toothpick test
- Let the sponge cake cool for 5 minutes and then loosen the sponge cake along the edge of the spring form pan with a knife.
- Place onto a wire rack and let cool down.
- Cook the vanilla pudding according to the instructions on the packet and let it cool slightly
- Soak 6 sheets of gelatine in cold water for approx. 5 minutes
- In the meantime, whip the cream with the vanilla sugar until stiff.
- Squeeze out the gelatine and add a generous tablespoon of the pudding to the gelatine and stir with a whisk
- Add the gelatine-pudding-mixture to the rest of the pudding and stir with a whisk.
- Pour the whipped cream into the cooled mass and stir briefly.
- Put a cake ring around the sponge cake.
- Peel the bananas and half lengthways and spread on the sponge cake base
- Carefully pour the vanilla mixture over it, smooth it out, refrigerate for at least 2 hours. If you can, let it cool overnight.
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan with the cream over low heat and stir together.
- Soak the remaining gelatine in cold water for approx. 5 minutes and squeeze it out well.
- In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the chocolate cream to the gelatine and stir together with a whisk.
- Add the gelatine to the rest of the chocolate cream and stir together
- Carefully pour the chocolate icing over the cooled mass and let it set and enjoy!